My World is Funnier

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Quick piece of advice

I understand that the title may come off as somewhat pretentious and egotistical, believing that I am in some position of authority to be giving advice. Listen kids, I've been at this a looong time and while I am well aware of where my jurisdiction ends, I also am aware of which topics I know a thing or two about.

In that vein, I would like to offer the following: If any of you out there are thinking of pursuing a career in comics learn one thing...patience!! I say this for a few different reasons.

1. It takes years, and in some cases decades, to make a living in this field. That is if you are ever one of the lucky few to make a living as a creator. I still don't. So work hard, cut your teeth, get involved with your local artist's community and your day will hopefully come...as will mine :)

2. Projects don't just appear overnight. It requires a lot of work and time to complete (and/or even find) a worthwhile project. If the destination is all you focus on, you'll never enjoy the ride.

3.Editors take a long time to respond!! This is not to say they are lazy or apathetic. Quite the contrary as a matter of fact. Editors are extremely busy and while they would love to respond to everyone in a timely manner this is just not a possibility. Do not, I repeat DO NOT perpetually call or email an editor questioning the status of your submission. A follow-up is perfectly fine but nothing turns off an editor quicker than a nuisance.

I believe this concludes my post. Keep creating folks!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home